This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyPicknSave #CollectiveBias
There is something about Spring that just makes me crave fresh, delicious salads. My family goes through a few bags of butter lettuce ever week lately just trying to keep up with the craving. I recently got a personal trainer to help me get into shape, and she told me that only 20% of being healthy is the exercise portion. The remaining 80% needs to be a diet change. It was eye opening to hear that, but also really exciting, because most of what I need to do is eat healthy, and that’s easy with the right foods.
We have been really excited about grilled chicken now that it’s grilling season, and we’ve been buying them pre marinated at Pick ‘n Save. I often have good intentions to marinate and store my own chicken, but it’s just so much easier to buy it that way already. At Pick ‘n Save, you can earn Extra Fresh Perks for the Grill and earn 1 perk point for every dollar spent using your Fresh Perks Card 4/9/15- 6/17/15. They are redeemable on Roundy’s Chicken Breasts, pub burgers, or steaks 6/18/15- 7/4/15. It’s easy to keep track of your status on the bottom of the receipt!
When we grill chicken for salads, we grill the whole pack at once, and then store the leftovers in a tupperware in the fridge. It lasts 2-3 days but always gets eaten because the marinated stuff is so juicy and flavorful. Besides salads, we have tossed it in pasta with some seasoning and I’ve even shredded it in my morning omelette! While I’m at Pick ‘n Save, I also like to pick up some salad toppings. I mentioned above that we go through a lot of butter lettuce. I absolutely love this type of green in my salad and most of the time, that’s what I buy! On top of my lettuce, I like to do “salad crunchies.” I’m staying away from croutons right now as I’m trying to cut back on carbs, but slivered almonds and other little crunchies are welcome in moderation! When shopping, keep your eye out for the “Think Spring Sale”- various tags throughout the store will show spring savings all around- you may find sale items for your salad that I didn’t see for mine!
You can buy a bag of pre mixed salad toppings at the store or make your own. I would love to make my own some time, but the convenience of having everything right there already bagged for you is also pretty nice. I also like to buy little baggies of real bacon bits. It adds a lot to a salad!
When searching for avocados, don’t buy the bright green ones. They will still be hard in the center. I always look for ones that are on the darker side. I also store them with the pit after I’ve cut into them so they don’t turn brown on the inside right away.
I have a few favorite salad dressings (that will be a post all on its own sometime soon!) but no matter what mood I’m in, I’m always down for some ranch. Hidden Valley is my favorite, and I do the light version. It’s so good!
In case you need a recap, here’s a recipe card!
- desired amount of butter lettuce
- 1-2 marinated chicken breasts, grilled
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 6 snap peas
- a small handful of slivered almond salad mix
- a small handful of real bacon bits
- light Ranch dressing
- Grill the marinated chicken and when finished, assemble the salad! Enjoy.
My favorite time to eat this salad is lunch. I’ve also found it pairs perfectly with iced tea. I’ve been trying to eat like my personal trainer told me to- like a king for breakfast, like a prince for lunch, and like a pauper for dinner. This salad has enough fuel to get me through until dinner without weighing me down. I’m loving it!
What’s your favorite way to make a salad?