Anyway, of course with the growing popularity of Marsala, I had to dip my toes in the trend a little bit to see what I thought. After digging through my stash and finding twelve marsala things, I consider myself fully emerged. I found many different shades of wine, burgundies, some slightly brighter, some slightly vampy, and all fabulous! I love giving a very 90s shade a breath of fresh air and a modern update.
1) KB Shimmer Men are From Mars-ala Nail Polish– All Things Beautiful XO did a post showcasing this beauty the other day. I love that it’s a lighter, orangey-red version of the marsala shade. I normally think of marsala as a deeper tone, but I’m digging this shimmer. It is really gorgeous on and I am digging it for staying on trend this year!
2) Smashbox Lip Lacquer in Bordeaux is another stunning shade. It goes on super glossy, and in one quick swipe to the lips can be a flattering, lighter wine, but can easily build to a deep, glossy vampy shade with a couple more passes of the wand. This has been an instant favorite of mine. I wore a thin layer of this on Instagram this morning with only foundation, and felt instantly more put together.
5) Inglot Lipstick Matte #425 is gorgeous and amazingly easy to wear. It plays into a couple trends since it’s marsala AND it’s matte. I’m obsessed with it. It has a bit of a drier texture to it and I need to make a couple passes with it in order to fill my lips in and be opaque. You can see it in action below! I love that it’s a deeper version of what would be my lips but better.
6) Elizabeth Arden Beauty Lipstick is one of my favorites of the marsala crowd. I have probably gotten the most mileage out of this shade compared to the others. I love that the formula is super moisturizing, the lipstick packaging is chic, and it reads as the most gorgeous chili color on me. It comes off a little more brown-red than other shades in the bunch. Definitely a 90s revival!
7) Inglot Lip Pencil Matte in #20 is a dark tomato color with a hint of brown. It has a gorgeous velvety matte finish and lasts forever when I wear it! I am digging this shade by itself or as a lip liner that I layer other marsala shades over.
8) Cargo Bordeaux is super deep and glossy. When I wear this I am totally not in my comfort zone but that’s what I love about it. I get a compliment every time I put it on. It’s deep, vampy, and unexpected. It’s SUPER glossy but I love it that way, and I also love it when I blot it a little bit and wear it matte.
9) I’ve found that the Naked 3 palette’s rose gold tones match swimmingly with the marsala shade. Every time I’ve been playing with a wine color on my lips lately, I’m grabbing for my Naked 3. But another shade I LOVE, which is a holy grail shade for me is my Aveda eye shadow single in Cinnamon Bark. It’s no longer available, but it’s a gorgeous spicy red/brown with slight shimmer and I love wearing it in my crease.
10) The Body Shop Colour Crush Shine Lipstick in #62 is a gorgeous berry marsala. I think it’s discontinued, but a similar shade would be 05 Let’s Grape it On. I had my “Come to Jesus” moment with this lipstick when I found an unopened one I must have bought on clearance a year or more ago. I opened it and it was very dry in texture. It must have gone bad because I remember trying it in store, and the formula is very slick and balm-like and the shade applies glossy and highly pigmented. I want to pick up more of these, but it’s worth noting that the shelf life isn’t forever, so if you don’t use things up in a reasonable time, don’t buy too many of these!
12) Gabriel Cosmetics Multipot in Florentina is the blush I’m wearing in all of these pictures. It’s subtle but buildable, and Florentine is the perfect wine inspired shade. I have worn this on my lips and cheeks before. It’s wonderful!