I can’t tell you how many favorite under eye concealers I’ve had in my life. There are many that I love, and a lot that I just don’t see the hype over. I wanted to share with you some tips for choosing a great under eye concealer for you, and some of my favorites.
1. Always start with a great eye cream. A long time favorite of mine is Clinique All About Eyes. I have found that the smoother the eye area is, the better concealer looks there. Clinique also has an All About Eyes concealer which I really like for its moderate coverage and ability to de-puff my eye area.
2. Speaking of coverage, there are lots of concealers for the eye area that have varying levels of coverage. Depending on the day, the season, and varying other factors, I might have a different favorite at any given time. If I’m not wearing much makeup, I tend to go for a sheerer under eye concealer like Shiseido Sheer Eye Zone Corrector. Other times I might like something thicker like Benefit Erase Paste.
3. If I’m traveling, I like to bring only one concealer that I can use anywhere on my face, not just under my eyes. I’ve found that Clinique Line Smoothing Concealer and Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer both work great to mask the redness around my nose AND conceal any under eye troubles I have.
4. Different concealers have different benefits. Laura Mercier High Coverage Concealer for Under Eye is specifically touted for use under the eyes, and has 3-in-1 benefits; the ability to cover, de-puff, and brighten dark undereye circles, while nourishing and smoothing skin. Smashbox Photo Op Under Eye Brightener is a brightening cream, that works best with concealer layered over top. I like to double this up with something else when my skin is looking dull.
5. Make your wish list for what your must haves in an under eye concealer would be, and find a perfect formula to suit your needs year round. It’s good to have a favorite to reach for. For me, it would be a formula that doesn’t just conceal dark circles, but actually had built in anti-aging benefits. Something that went on lightly but not sheer. Something comfortable to wear, not cakey, with illuminating properties. And SPF! I would have thought I would never find it all in one (especially an under eye concealer with SPF) but recently I found the under eye concealer of my dreams!
The It Cosmetics CC+ Eye Physical SPF Color Correcting Concealer is a new product that is totally rocking my world. It is specifically designed for the delicate eye area and treats as it conceals. It’s a 7-in-1! An anti-aging serum, moisturizing eye cream, eye brightening serum, skin perfecting primer, color corrector, SPF 50 UVA/UVB physical only sunscreen, and your full coverage concealer. There is a cooling metal tip as you can see above, and the CC+ brightens the appearance of under eye darkness with color correcting pigments. Hyaluronic acid, peptides, hydrolyzed collagen and silk, grape seed oil, and lots of other great ingredients are found in the formula.
I’m basically obsessed with the way this applies on me. With a tiny squeeze of the tube, I dot this concealer under my eyes, and it covers the dark spots (and treats them!) that I have on my upper cheek bones. I know it’s from getting too much sun in my early 20s and I’m working hard to cover them, and better yet get rid of them. It’s a light enough formula that I am really surprised by the coverage it provides. I’m also beyond thrilled that it has SPF and 50 at that. It’s super hard to find that as a benefit in your eye cream, much less anything above 15. It is super smooth as it goes on and too thin to get trapped in my fine lines or to be cakey under my eyes. I’m basically in love. I don’t see myself switching to anything else any time soon!
Do you have a favorite? This one is going to be really hard to beat. I’m pretty obsessed!