Today I’m 27 years old. I’ve had 27 birthdays, lived through 27 summers, and been alive for 9,855 days. This time last year, I was 6.5 months pregnant, living in Wenatchee, WA and missing family. Today, I have a beautiful 8 month old baby girl who says “mama” “dada” and “hi!” I’m living in a different place in the state of WA and still missing family, but enjoying my little three person family I have here. In 12 short months my life is very similar to last year, but so very different at the same time. Since I’m feeling reflective, I wanted to bring ya’ll 27 things I’ve learned in my 27 years on this amazing planet.
1. Interests and talents can change over time in the most unexpected ways.
2. Wherever you go, there you are. Your trials and tribulations will follow you around the globe.
3. Really, truly, embrace who you are. Don’t hide from your truths. They make you unique- even the bad parts.
4. Credit card debt is suffocating. Being credit card debt free is the most amazing feeling.
5. Right when you think you have it all figured out is when life usually drops another bomb on you. Roll with the punches.
6. When people show you who they really are, believe them.
7. Learning how to do things yourself, without anybody’s help, is very empowering.
8. Always fight your insurance if they say they won’t pay something.
9. Have a skin care regimen that involves anti aging creams and SPF.
10. Having a small group of friends that you can trust is better than having a large group of friends you can’t!
11. Find out how to relax and do it often.
12. God won’t invite us anywhere God’s not already waiting.
13. Having a career doesn’t make you successful. Not having a career doesn’t make you unsuccessful. If you don’t feel successful in your own life, redefine success.
14. Don’t lie. The truth will set you free, even if it’s no fun to admit.
15. Whether you work from home or work from an office, you’ll still have mommy guilt to some degree.
16. Weight loss is mental, not physical.
17. Your gut feeling is almost always right.
18. Accept the things you cannot change, change the things you cannot accept.
19. A hairstylist who knows your hair is worth his/her weight in gold.
20. There are many different ways to be smart- IQ and EQ are equally important.
21. Being kind and being nice are different. Kindness is going out of your way to be nice to others because it’s the right thing to do.
22. Having a kid is scary, hilarious, amazing, and every other feeling you could ever have wrapped up in one little bundle of puke and poop.
23. Being officially in my late 20s and still being a renter is a crummy feeling.
24. While my idea of fun 5 years ago may have included a night at the bar with friends, now my ideal night consists of a hot shower where nobody interrupts me and a solid half hour of silence.
25. Getting a full 8 hours of sleep is way more amazing than staying up doing nothing until all hours of the morning.
26. Going to bed angry is a good idea. Revisiting the topic after a solid night of sleep sometimes bodes better than staying up all night trying to hash it out.
27. An awesome pair of shoes can be life changing.
Happy Birthday to me! I hope you all make something fabulous out of your weekend. I’m working on a DIY project to today… should I share it here?