This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ApplyBeforeYouDry #CollectiveBias
I am constantly struggling with rounding up my kids and getting where we need to be in the morning. My kids are now 1 and 3 and trust me when I say the struggle is real when it comes to getting anywhere on time. I have come to find there are a few tips I can follow to make my mornings go way smoother and I can arrive at my destination wearing clean clothes, having taken a shower, and having nice hair and makeup on! That may not seem like such a feat, but trust me when I say having kids underfoot makes a morning routine way more difficult! If you struggle to get yourself and your family up and going in the morning (back to school anyone?!) read on for my tips!
1) Wake up earlier. Ok, this one is painfully obvious. Waking up earlier will give you more time to get ready OF COURSE but think about how much more smoothly your morning would go if you got up 30 minutes or even an hour before anyone else in the house was up! I’ll admit the times I’ve accomplished this have been rare since I’m not a morning person. But seriously, if I can enjoy my coffee in peace with no children in my lap, check my email, write a blog post, shower AND get dressed with no interruptions, it’s amazing how much better and accomplished I feel. When I wait for them to rise to get my own self out of bed, it takes me that much longer to get anything done for myself.
2) Have a go to hairstyle and makeup look. Pretty much the only time I “experiment” with my look is on the weekend or in the evening after my kids go down. I wear the same variation of hairstyle or makeup look daily. Knowing that I have a bag of tricks with everything I will need to do my makeup makes the morning go smoothly. I did a 5 minute fall makeup bag edit a while back that you can check out for some tips. As for hair, I either wear it in a top knot or curl it as I did below every single day. It takes the guess work out!
3) Do some of your grunt work during the day. I absolutely hate laundry and dishes but if I don’t stay on top of them, mornings can be brutal. When I go to bed at night, I try to make sure I have a fresh load of laundry and that everything is put away. I also load the dishwasher every single night so that I don’t get stuck hand washing dishes so we can eat breakfast in the morning. Leaving messes around the house just makes mornings more difficult and nobody wants to scrounge for a clean outfit or a dish to eat from when they wake up.
3) Stock up on necessities. Nothing throws a wrench in my morning like realizing I’m out of my favorite granola. Or I have one diaper left. Or…pretty much run out of any necessity! Last time I went to the store I bought 15 bags of my favorite granola so I would never run out again! I try to run most of my errands on the weekend if possible so I can do them alone and I don’t get distracted and forget something. Last time I was at Target, I discovered an awesome new product that saves me LOTS of time in the shower, that I’ll share with you below!
4) Cut time in the shower. Like I mentioned a moment ago, I just discovered this new product at Target that is saving me time and energy! It’s called Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer. After you are done cleansing, shaving, shampooing, etc in the shower, apply this to your wet skin right before you hop out. I’m not even kidding you, this is my new favorite thing. You don’t rinse it off, and it locks in hydration at skin’s peak moisture moment when it’s still wet. I then dry my skin as normal with a towel.
Years ago, I would apply lotion to my entire body after getting out of the shower and I would have to rub it all in and wait for it to dry. I love the idea that I don’t have to wait for anything here because it’s so fast and applied to wet skin! There is a Target Cartwheel offer for 5% off of this right now if you are interested in trying it for yourself.
What tips do you follow to save time in the morning? I’d love to hear some more! I’m always looking for ways to cut corners in my morning routine.