I started going to a new salon a few months ago and they use all Aveda and Bumble & Bumble. I’ve reviewed some Aveda products here over the last few years, but Bumble & Bumble is a brand new to me!

bumble and bumble quenching mask for the terribly thirstyaffiliate links

I’ve found it interesting how my hair changes over time. I used a cult favorite serum in my hair for 10 years and it was just what my hair needed at the time. Eventually, my hair evolved and it no longer worked that well for me. I used another product for many years and still use it frequently, but now that I have been introduced to Bumble & Bumble’s brand, I find myself wanting to check out what they have to offer! Two products I have been trying out are the Invisible Oil and the Quenching Masque. I have a super mini size of the oil, so I’ll mostly talk about the mask!

My hair is thick, coarse, and has a natural wave to it. It’s also color treated! I shampoo and condition about twice a week. Typically I will do a mask one of those times. The effect I’m usually going for when I mask is deeply conditioned, detangled, super shiny and soft hair. My all time favorite mask accomplishes this for me every time but I’ve been out of it for a little bit so at my last haircut I picked up the Quenching Masque. Used weekly, it’s supposed to be a maximum hydrator- restoring the moisture barrier for softness, strength, and detangling. The “terribly thirsty” part of the name refers to hair suffering from chronic dryness or repeated heat styling and brushing.

bumble and bumble quenching masqueSo what’s the verdict? For $38 I wish it did a little more for my hair. It doesn’t detangle as beautifully as my favorite mask but it’s not terrible either. It does a nice job at keeping my hair hydrated but I’m not totally in love. Luckily (or unluckily?) the tube isn’t that big so it will last me about two months of hair masking as often as I do them. I have to wonder if the Creme de Coco Masque would have been a better fit for my needs. I guess I’ll find out at my next haircut!

What was the last beauty product that you bought that wasn’t a total win? I’d love to hear about it. Do you return it or just hope for better luck next time?

15 Comments on Bumble & Bumble Quenching Masque Hydrator for the (terribly) Thirsty

1. Kimberly
    July 6, 2015 at 8:14 pm (2 years ago)

Detangling is a must for my long, fine and curly hair. Thanks for the review.

2. Phyrra
    July 6, 2015 at 8:20 pm (2 years ago)

I haven’t used bumble n bumble in years. I used to adore them. For detangling you might like Dermorganic Spray Therapy.

• justina
      July 6, 2015 at 10:07 pm (2 years ago)

I do love that stuff! I just rediscovered it the other day.

3. Never Say Die Beauty
    July 6, 2015 at 8:31 pm (2 years ago)

I used to go to Bumble & Bumble salon on W57 St ages ago. They make great products

4. Miranda | Slashed Beauty
    July 6, 2015 at 9:17 pm (2 years ago)

If you’re not totally in love, $38 is way too expensive for a meh product in my book!

5. MarciaF
    July 6, 2015 at 11:16 pm (2 years ago)

I used Bumble & Bumble products for so many years. It is interesting though that your hair changes and sometimes your favorite products don’t work as well.

6. Kath Thefabzilla
    July 6, 2015 at 11:21 pm (2 years ago)

I’m skipping this then. Alterna Caviar hair mask was a major letdown for me.

• justina
      July 7, 2015 at 1:24 pm (2 years ago)

Oh man! I was a little hot and cold with Alterna too.

7. Mai
    July 7, 2015 at 12:21 am (2 years ago)

Aww it’s a shame that it didn’t work out quite as well as you would have like. The price tag really sets up high expectations!

8. Laura@mynewestaddiction.com
    July 7, 2015 at 3:00 am (2 years ago)

It’s been a while since I’ve tried B&B stuff. I need to pick up some things for sure.

9. Anastasia
    July 7, 2015 at 6:55 am (2 years ago)

I rarely return products so I’d probably just use it up and call it a dud.

10. Kim
    July 7, 2015 at 8:24 am (2 years ago)

Aww man! For $38 I wish that it could have done more for you. Great review. There’s a product I’m using now, and it isn’t working so well. My review of it will be up this week.

11. Nidia - Lit From Within
    July 7, 2015 at 8:55 am (2 years ago)

For that price, I’d want supermodel hair! I do love a hair mask, and it really is hard to find one that does everything. Detangling, especially, has been hard for me to find. Ones with silicone in them tend to do that a little better for me.

12. Mercedes
    July 8, 2015 at 7:20 am (2 years ago)

Bummer it didn’t work out as well as expected. I never return beauty products, I just use them up and don’t repurchase. There are a few duds I need to just throw away.

13. Brooke @ Blushing Noir
    July 8, 2015 at 11:34 am (2 years ago)

I’m always looking for a new hair mask. My hair isn’t as thick or long as yours so maybe I can get this to work for me. Hopefully Sephora has a sample I can use some points for!