For the past couple of weeks, my husband has been waking me up at 6:30 am before he leaves for work. I am NOT a morning person by nature, and it has been rather painful. No lie, since having kids, the way I usually wake up in the morning is by my daughter coming into my room and yelling in my face “MOM!” and occasionally lifting my eyelids up and pulling on my arms to yank me out of bed. It’s kind of pathetic actually, and not my proudest quality. I’m trying to make a change.
I’m going on about three weeks of early rising right now and I’m hoping it sticks. I have been waking up about 30 minutes before the kids. Still not enough time to shower in the morning, but enough to enjoy coffee by myself, and apply makeup without cutting every possible corner. The most easily skippable steps for me in the morning are makeup primer, blush, and eyeliner. They take a little extra time or precision to apply, which is why they are the first to go when I need to cut something. But when I do take the time I never regret it! Makeup I apply lasts longer, my eyes look bigger and brighter, and my skin takes on a healthier glow.
I have so many freaking blushes it’s sick but I only let a handful of them live in my bathroom at any given time. Here are the ones I have on rotation this second! I know it’s not Spring yet, but I’m looking optimistically forward a couple months, so please forgive me :-).
First up, I like a little spice in my life. Of the blushes below, some are peachy, some are mauve, but most of what they have in common is when I reach for one of these, I am building my makeup around my blush color rather than applying it as an afterthought.
1) Charlotte Tilbury Cheek to Chic Swish & Pop Blush in The Climax- The idea is to wear the outer darker color lightly on the whole cheek and the center shade on the apple of the cheek. This is gorgeous on and matches all the marsala makeup shades that are so in right now.
2) Charlotte Tilbury Filmstars on the Go palette in Breakfast at Tiffany’s- This palette is for lips, cheeks, and eyes. I love wearing the peachy shade on my lips and my cheeks. It melts right in when I wear it and takes little effort to look amazing!
4) Benefit Rockateur– I don’t wear this as much as I should but it’s so amazing. It’s a gorgeous rose gold blushing powder with a highlight sheen to it. It’s SO perfect on and goes with just about anything I’ve chosen for makeup on any given day.
6) Clinique Cheek Pop in Peach Pop- I bought all four of the Cheek Pop blushes when they came out and then never reviewed them. I love all four and they work great for mixing and matching. Peach Pop and Ginger Pop are great for layering together.
If you’re newer to blush, a nude shade might be a great place to start. Nude blushes tend to make my skin look really healthy while not being so in yo’ face. I’m not new to blush, and I still love wearing nudes. I wear these a lot when I’m not sure if I’m going to change my makeup later because I know it will match anything I do to my face! They’re also perfect for doing no makeup makeup!
7) Gabriel Cosmetics Multipot in Magnolia is a bronze/apricot shade with golden shimmer. I LOVE these multipots because they’re so easy to use on lips and cheeks and especially with a shade that’s more nude it’s easy to wear.
8) Tarte Exposed is soft and made from Amazonian clay. It doesn’t cling to dry patches in the winter and it’s basically perfect! I love that Tarte also has Lipsurgence and Cheek Stains that match each shade of blush too!
9) Josie Maran Lip & Cheek Creamy Oil in Everlasting Honey is something I discovered in December. I love layering it under blush to give a gorgeous glow to my skin and keep it feeling and looking smooth and flawless.
10) Lancome Blush Subtil in Blushing Nude might be discontinued now because I can’t find it online anywhere, but their formula for blush lasts longer than just about anything I’ve ever tried. Even in the summer, it doesn’t budge. Aplum and Mauve Coquette are two other favorites of mine from the line.
11) Rouge Bunny Rouge Original Skin Blush in Delicata is soft in every way. Silky and barely there on my skin, but it gives my cheeks a tiny boost of subtle color that I need to look healthy. You can’t overdo it with this shade.
And lastly, rose! Rose in all of its forms have been trending for a long time now, and I don’t see them coming out of the spotlight for a while. Fragrances with rose, rose gold jewelry and makeup, rosy shimmer, and a just pinched rose blush on cheeks have all made their way into my home. Some of my favorite rose blushes are listed below!
13) MUFE HD Blush in 215 Flamingo Pink- I haven’t heard much about these cream blushes in a while, but when they came out they were all the rage. I am still using mine all the time! Check out my review here.
14) It Cosmetics CC+ Radiance Ombre Blush was one of my favorite releases last year. It’s gorgeous to look at obviously, but also SO pretty on. It’s vibrant and has a built in highlighter. What’s not to love? Read my review here.
15) Rouge Bunny Rouge Original Skin Blush in Orpheline is a medium warm strawberry shade. It looks fabulous on my skin in the summer when I have a bit of a tan, but it’s bright, pearlescent, and luminous, making it the perfect shade for me right now too when I’m looking for something a bit more pigmented.
I don’t think you can go wrong with anything on my list! Is there any one product that speaks to you? What’s your favorite blush?