I’ve been doing this maternity series for the last couple weeks on the blog. Today, I’m going to cover maternity style for tall girls. I’m 5’11” with a 34-35″ inseam and it can often be tricky to find clothes to fit me anyway. Being pregnant just adds another element of difficulty to the getting ready process. Some of my recommendations are below! I hope this helps you, and I think even if you aren’t as tall as I am you may get some use from the tips I have to share.

One thing to note in this post is that both of my pregnancies have started in January/February and I’ve been due in September. Most of the weight that I’ve gained has happened in the warm months of the year, and until I’m 4-5 months along (early Spring) I don’t start wearing maternity clothing. I stay at home right now so I don’t have a need for a huge professional wardrobe. I have a couple fancy things that I rotate, but for the most part I keep it casual. maternity style for tall girls.jpg

*everything in this post I purchased myself, affiliate links in use*

Let’s start with pants. Pants are a struggle for me to find in real life due to being so tall, but during pregnancy, it’s hell. I’ve looked around high and low, and the only pants I’ve been able to find are from the GAP. They come in long sizes, are super comfortable, and last a long time. Your first step to figuring out what pants to buy is what kind of panel you want. Just for reference, I screen capped this off the gap.com‘s website:

belly panel.jpg

A lot of preggos like a full panel, but for me, I get twitchy when something is covering my whole stomach like that. I prefer the demi panel personally. If you’ve never been pregnant before, do yourself a huge favor and go try on pants in store, even if they’re not even close to the right style or size, just to see which style you prefer. Finding an actual GAP Maternity store to shop at is rare unless you’re in a huge city, so you’ll probably be shopping online. You’ll save yourself a lot of time in the long run if you know what you’re looking for.

When I’ve been pregnant, I always gravitate towards 3 types of bottoms:

1) A skinny jean/jegging that can be folded up on the bottoms in the summer to create capri pants and then in the fall (before and after giving birth) can be tucked in to boots. I wear maternity pants for a good couple months after birth, with a belly band, so these are crucial. These from the GAP are pretty similar to what I have.

2) A flare jean to wear casually for every day. The 1969 Demi Panel Long and Lean Jeans are everything. And OMG they are currently on sale for $39. If I wasn’t 7 weeks out, I would add a few of these to my online shopping cart. I wear these a few times a week and they are still in perfect condition. My first pregnancy I had these, and when I was 30+ weeks along, I wore them to a doctor’s appointment and my doctor was like, WOW! You’re not even wearing maternity yet! Of course I was, but they just don’t even look like maternity. They’re awesome.

3) A black pant. Because you never know when you might need to dress up, or for church, etc. The Demi Panel Perfect Trouser Pant (also currently on sale) is amazing. You will probably wear these long after being pregnant because they are so comfortable.

When shopping online at the GAP, always read the reviews. ALWAYS. They will help you pick the right size for yourself. In my experience, all of their pants run much bigger (by at least a size) than what you normally wear. I tend to order my normal size in one pair, and a size smaller in a couple pairs. The jeans you order in a size smaller will fit you great until the last few weeks most likely, then you’ll be glad you have that extra pair for the last few weeks when you feel huge and horrible and are busting out of everything. Anyways, read the reviews. They will guide your purchase!

If you’re looking for more summery stuff, I’ve had great luck with the Duo Maternity capris, although they are easily stretched out. I’m looking everywhere online for them and I’m not finding them, but these are similar. I also have a belt that I’m pretty sure is this exact one that I wear with my capris so they don’t fall down. It’s basically just a stretchy braided belt. It will expand with you but help you not to lose your pants. These are usually in the men’s section. I also have a belly band from Target that I love. These are especially helpful for post pregnancy to help with the transition from maternity pants back to your regular pants.

Maxi skirts are a great investment because they look good with a tshirt and are a way to dress up a little more in the summer. Depending on the skirt, you may be able to find a non maternity style that fits you great too!

I always wear an undershirt, and I’ve found that I can get by with my normal ones from Express for a long time. They come in every color and pattern imaginable and last forever. I still have several I wore in college, and I’ve been graduated for five years! These are comfy for underneath shirts and to bed. They have a built in shelf tank top so I can wear them without a bra to bed but still get the support I desperately need while my body is changing.

Once I hit month 7, my belly is big enough that I need to find something a little longer. I hate maternity tank tops because they are really low quality for what you are getting. However, I don’t think tall girls have much of an option here because they’re going to be the only tank top that runs long enough. When I need longer maternity tank tops, I just buy nursing tank tops because they’re long and you will need it if you want to nurse!

For tshirts, I’ve found that Motherhood Maternity brand runs a little smaller than I’m used to with other maternity lines but I’ve gotten great use out of some of their shirts. I love this polka dotted one and I have several solid ones tool The cotton material is not as soft as other brands either but they’re cute so it makes up for it. JC Penney has really affordable solid shirts like this one that I recommend. I have this cute striped shirt for when I’m feeling fancy too!

If you are pregnant or trying to lose the weight in the colder months of the year, I recommend an open cardigan like this one. You don’t even have to get it in the maternity section! It will last beyond your pregnancy and be convenient for nursing as well. I also love my zip up hoodie for chilly days, and Old Navy’s slub knit hoodies are a perfect lightweight option as well.

Since I’m not working a professional job right now, I only need one fancy dress! I thought this was such a fun dress for summer weddings, my class reunion, etc. I bought some nude wedges and a white half sweater and I’ve been living in it for every special occasion! It’s a flattering style, and the bigger I get the better I look in it! haha. It’s got lots of room for boobs (I need a slip underneath so I don’t show everything) and although the cut is shorter in the front it’s perfect for us tall girls.It’s much shorter on me than on the model and I still think it’s plenty long!

For shoes and accessories, I’ve been living in my Flojos and wear statement earrings almost daily!

When shopping, don’t forget that most retailers won’t let you use a coupon in store on maternity. Macy’s doesn’t ever discount maternity, although it’s often buy one get one half off. JC Penney is discontinuing their maternity section in store (the one by me anyways). Kohl’s has a disappointing selection (read- one rack). Most of the department stores I’ve seen have a pitiful selection that is overpriced, if you can even find it in stores. The best luck I’ve had are at stores like Motherhood Maternity where you can use coupons, and trying to shop online using coupons at Oldnavy.com, the GAP, etc. Many stores will refer you to their plus sized section if you are looking for maternity, which I think is rude. I hope things change and us pregnant ladies get more selections to choose from soon!

Hopefully this post helped you if you are pregnant or thinking about it soon!

35 Comments on Maternity Style for Tall Girls

1. Alison Freisz-Steward
    July 23, 2014 at 10:16 am (3 years ago)

Oh my goodness! This was my biggest problem when I was preggo with my first over 12 years ago (not so bad my 2nd but she’s only 2) – being a tall lady, I was destined to be a skirt wearer, which I hate! I’m so glad they’re making cute maternity stuff for us tall ones now because everyone deserves to look well put together at a time when you feel like a fat blob ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Stephanie Louise Telford
    July 23, 2014 at 10:25 am (3 years ago)

I LOVE that dress! I’m baby-less here for a bit but I’ll definitely keep those panels in mind- who knew there were so many!

3. Allison @neversaydiebeauty
    July 23, 2014 at 11:36 am (3 years ago)

What a great selection!

4. jamie @makeuplifelove
    July 23, 2014 at 11:37 am (3 years ago)

Those tips are perfect. I so didnt know you were 5’11.Passing this on to a friend who is tall and prego with twins. Great tips and cute choices!!!

5. TinaBowling
    July 23, 2014 at 12:09 pm (3 years ago)

What a great post even though I’m definitely NOT thinking about being pregnant, ha! I’m so jealous of your height but I suppose all us shorties say that :).

6. Miranda Mendoza
    July 23, 2014 at 2:47 pm (3 years ago)

Maternity clothes have come a long way! There are actually cute styles now!

7. Michelle
    July 23, 2014 at 3:08 pm (3 years ago)

Girl– thank you! I will be referring back to this in about 6 years haha. I didn’t realize how tall you are! I’m 5’10 so I understand the struggle when finding bottoms- but maternity bottoms?! Can’t imagine.

Xo, Michelle

mash-elle.blogspot.com

8. beautybymissl
    July 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm (3 years ago)

Those are such a pretty maternity clothes. When I was pregnant 2 years ago then I also had problems finding pants that would be long enough since Iยดm 5’9.

9. Nidia Doherty
    July 23, 2014 at 3:38 pm (3 years ago)

I’m a plus-sized gal, so if I ever got pregnant, I’d bet I’d be relegated to mu-mus… lol. I’m glad I’ve never gone through this, but it does sound like being tall and on top of that having the pregnant shape has made clothes shopping for you a real challenge!

10. Norah Salazar
    July 23, 2014 at 3:57 pm (3 years ago)

5’11 – can I just say how jelly I am? I am 5’5 and always wanted to be tall. EEESH. I know you are probably rolling your eyes but true story ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Phyrra
    July 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm (3 years ago)

I wish I was tall! I’m 5’4″

12. Shipra Taneja
    July 23, 2014 at 4:49 pm (3 years ago)

I had a hard time finding maternity clothes and I’m only 5’1″. This is a great guide for the tall beauties! <3

13. Ashliegh
    July 23, 2014 at 5:34 pm (3 years ago)

This is such a helpful post for tall girls! My sister is much taller than me so I’ll definitely have to share this with her when she becomes pregnant!

14. Sheila Arkee
    July 23, 2014 at 5:49 pm (3 years ago)

I would never have guessed you are that tall!

15. BeautyJudy
    July 23, 2014 at 6:55 pm (3 years ago)

When I was pregnant I was so lost when it came to thinking about buying maternity clothes. I had bad bloating, so I ended up dipping my toe in the pool and figured instead of buying the next size up I’d by a pair of slacks and a dress and wear the rest of my pants unbutton, lol I ended up gaining some weight when I lost the baby, so I confess, I still wear the dress! No one needs to know it’s maternity and I don’t even think about it anymore; It is so comfortable. Also, someone told me zulilly is great for maternity clothes but my question with that was, how the heck do you know what to buy?! I need to try things on! Meh, hopefully if we are blessed with another chance, I will figure it all out!! I’m bookmarking this post for future reference ๐Ÿ™‚

16. cindyprimebeauty
    July 23, 2014 at 6:56 pm (3 years ago)

For some reason I didn’t think you were that tall!

17. Stephanie @ Diary of a Debutan
    July 23, 2014 at 8:14 pm (3 years ago)

Such great ideas! Definitely directing all my preggerz friends to this post! ๐Ÿ™‚

xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante

18. Eugenia
    July 23, 2014 at 8:25 pm (3 years ago)

Can you make a post for non pregnant short girls?? ๐Ÿ˜›

19. Betzy Carmona
    July 23, 2014 at 8:47 pm (3 years ago)

I’m not pregnant but I could imagine how helpful this post would be

20. Ange
    July 23, 2014 at 8:49 pm (3 years ago)

Such cute styles!!

21. Ann Marie DelFavero
    July 23, 2014 at 9:46 pm (3 years ago)

Cute ideas! Keeping this post in mind for when I finally become pregnant!

22. Carly Anderson
    July 23, 2014 at 10:00 pm (3 years ago)

These are some super cute maternity! I know when I was pregnant I loved my “prego” jeans and dresses.

23. Laura
    July 23, 2014 at 11:58 pm (3 years ago)

When I was pregnant I really didnt buy too much stuff… mostly just maxi dresses that I still wear.

24. Anastasia
    July 24, 2014 at 12:22 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for the tips! I think when it’s time for me to wear this type of clothing I will end up getting a bunch of dresses.

25. Mai
    July 24, 2014 at 12:31 am (3 years ago)

This will be many years down the line but I do appreciate all the tips!

26. FabZilla_Kath
    July 24, 2014 at 12:46 am (3 years ago)

Wow, I didn’t realize you were that tall! I will be smurfette beside you, lol!

27. Honeygirlk
    July 24, 2014 at 1:16 am (3 years ago)

I had no idea you were that tall lady… wowzers. lol I was all about comfort when pregnant… I loved maxi dresses but also worn jeans all the time, with my eldest I wore jeans until the day I gave birth… and then with the twins… well, that’s a different story. lol

28. Kimmi @ The Plastic Diaries
    July 24, 2014 at 2:19 am (3 years ago)

Holy heck, I had no idea how tall you were. It’s so funny how we feel like we know people through their blogs and then they say something like that (something that would be obvious if we had actually met) and we get shocked. Anyway, i’m not pregnant but I would have some uses for those elastic waistband jeans.

29. RainbowMama
    July 24, 2014 at 7:01 am (3 years ago)

The flares are a cute look! I loved wearing jeans when I was pregnant too but I’d never thought of the trickiness for the taller woman.

Amber at Adventures of a Rainbow Mama x

30. Glamour-Zine
    July 24, 2014 at 8:51 am (3 years ago)

great maternity style for tall girls!

31. Brooke @ Blushing Noir
    July 24, 2014 at 9:25 am (3 years ago)

If I miss anything about being pregnant it’s the clothes… SO comfortable.

32. Destany
    July 24, 2014 at 10:14 am (3 years ago)

I love that dress at the end of the post!

33. Cosmetic Sanctuary
    July 25, 2014 at 4:41 pm (3 years ago)

Why is it that when I was preggo, they had almost nothing cute like this? Granted I was pregnant through the Fall & Winter, but still!